Community Education & Recreation offers popular fitness & aquatic classes, as well as learning & wellness opportunities for everyone from toddlers to senior citizens.
• View or download the complete January-April 2018 Course Listings
• Online registration
: this option, which no longer carries a service charge, allows you to pay with a credit card and to receive immediate confirmation of enrollment.
• Printable registration form
to mail or bring to Community Ed & Rec, 125 Highland Ave., Plymouth WI 53073.
What is offered?
Upcoming classes include:
- Family Fit Gym: This class for one adult and one child ages 5-10 is designed to make working out fun and promote physical activity. Teams will get fit through circuit training, physical education games and relay races. Class will meet with instructor Katie Shuenemann from 6:30 to 7:15 p.m. Tuesdays from March 13 to April 17 (except March 27); fee is $18 until March 2, then $28.
- Yogurt, Kefir, Piima and Soft Cheese Making: This new class is the first in the Home Creamery Series. Participants will make and sample yogurt, Kefir, cultured cream, and cultured butter. After transforming milk into these cultured products, they also will learn to transform them into soft, spreadable cheese. Participants will taste samples, and leave with recipes and a culture to get started at home. Class will meet with Linda Conroy, owner of Moonwise Herbs, from 6 to 8:30 p.m. Tuesday, March 20 (rescheduled from March 13); fee is $46.
- Retire Right: This comprehensive preparation course is for anyone looking at retiring in the near – or even not-so-near – future. It covers topics such as Social Security, pension choices, Medicare, legal issues, long-term care, and investment management. Class will meet with Jeremy Burri of Veritas Financial from 6:30 to 7:45 p.m. Tuesday, March 20 and Thursday, March 22; fee is $6 until March 9, then $16.
- Soothe the Inflammation Fire: Learn how to eat to help reduce inflammation in the body, what supplements help reduce inflammation and what habits increase inflammation. Class will meet with Dr. Dan Francis of Francis Chiropractic from 6 to 7 p.m. Wednesday, March 21; fee is $5 until March 9, then $15.
- Scuba: Those ages 10 and up can try Scuba in the safety of the PHS pool. Class meets with instructors from Port Deco Divers from 10 a.m. to noon Saturday, March 24; until March 9 the fee is $36 ($28 for Generations members and district residents ages 62 and up), which includes all equipment, supervision and pool time.
- Make Mozzarella & Ricotta in Your Own Kitchen: Part of the Home Creamery Series, this class will teach participants to curdle milk and stretch the curd. This class will provide a hands-on opportunity to make two styles of ricotta (traditional and whole milk), as well as fresh mozzarella. Participants will meet with Linda Conroy, owner of Moonwise Herbs, from 6 to 8:30 p.m. Tuesday, March 27 at Plymouth High School, 125 Highland Ave. Fee is $36 until March 16, then $46. Everyone will leave with recipes and cheese made in class.
- Kayak Basic Safety: This new wet-entry safety course will demonstrate how to get back into a kayak after falling out. Single rescue and the buddy system will be demonstrated. All participants will learn to do rescues, as well as participate in a discussion about paddling technique and different types of kayaks. Class will meet with instructors from Ecology Outfitters from 6:15 to 9:15 p.m. Tuesday, April 3 in the pool at Plymouth High School, 125 Highland Ave. The fee is $20 ($16 for Generations members and district residents ages 62 and up) until March 23, then $30; and includes use of kayak, paddle and life jacket.
- Parent/Tot Aquatics: This class assists in establishing a comfort level in the water for children ages 6 months to 5 years, with tips for water safety. Parents will be in the water with the children, so this class with instructor Beth Kerntke provides a unique opportunity to bond. The Tuesday class will have an orientation at 5:30 p.m. April 10 in the PHS cafeteria and pool time from 5:30 to 6:15 p.m. from April 17 to May 22. The Thursday class will have an orientation at 5:30 p.m. April 12 in the PHS cafeteria and pool time from 5;30 to 6:15 p.m. from April 19 to May 24. Fee for either is $38 per adult/child pair until March 30, then $48.
- Student Lap Swim: Offered from 3 to 4 p.m. Mondays and Wednesdays from April 9 to May 23; fee is $15 until March 30, then $25.
View online descriptions of all of our current general, fitness, aquatic and youth & family courses.
View or print a copy of our current course guide. Copies also may be found at locations throughout the community.
How do I register?
Register online: By registering online you can pay with a credit card and get immediate confirmation of enrollment. No more service charge!
Print a registration form: Mail or bring it to our office in Plymouth High School, 125 Highland Ave., Plymouth WI 53073.
• Email us at email@example.com.
• Call us at (920) 892-5068.
• Stop by our office on the north end of Plymouth High School, 125 Highland Ave.
• Sign up for our e-newsletter,
which is sent each month and when registration opens for each session.
• Follow us on Facebook.
LTC classes at PHS
Lakeshore Technical College offers a number of classes in the LTC-Plymouth Science and Technology Center at Plymouth High School.
Upcoming classes, which meet from 6 to 9 p.m. unless otherwise noted, include:
- Spanish for Travelers-1: Get a quick and confident grasp of some basic Spanish phrases to make your trip to Spanish-speaking countries more enjoyable. The class will introduce you to the basics of Spanish pronunciation and sounds. Class 25599 will meet Wednesdays from March 21 to April 11; fee is $37.55.
- Shade Gardening: Learn from a master gardener about the numerous plants that thrive in minimal sunlight. Discover an extensive list of new and old annuals, perennials, ground covers, and shrubs that can be combined in exciting and beautiful ways for shady places. You’ll also learn how to develop a shade garden under trees. Class 25650 will meet Tuesday, April 3; fee is $17.72 (seniors $4.50).
- Vegetable Gardening: Get started or improve your large or small vegetable garden and learn about seed germination, cropping methods, insect and disease problems, as well as organic, square foot and vertical gardening. Class 25651 will meet Wednesday, April 11; fee is $17.72 (seniors $4.50).
- Beekeeping - Level 2: This class focuses on the needs of an established hive, including feeding methods, managing pests and parasites, and identifying and treating infectious organisms. This class will also cover trouble-shooting and common challenges of ongoing hive management. Class 25636 will meet from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. April 14; fee is $17.72.
- Workplace Spanish: Educators and others will learn basic Spanish to communicate with Spanish-speaking students, customers, or co-workers. This course teaches basic vocabulary and conversational phrases to use in a workplace setting. Students will practice pronunciation and learn minimal grammatical structures to aide in the understanding of the Spanish language. Class 25595 will meet Tuesdays from May 8 to 22; fee is $77.55 (seniors $44.50).
• To register, call LTC at (888) 468-6582.
• View or download a complete guide to LTC personal enrichment classes this winter/spring.