Community Education & Recreation offers popular fitness & aquatic classes, as well as learning & wellness opportunities for everyone from toddlers to senior citizens.
• View or download the complete September-December 2017 Course Listings
• Online registration
: this option, which no longer carries a service charge, allows you to pay with a credit card and to receive immediate confirmation of enrollment.
• Printable registration form
to mail or bring to Community Ed & Rec, 125 Highland Ave., Plymouth WI 53073.
What is offered?
Upcoming classes include:
- “Lion” (PG-13) will play at 6:30 p.m. Tuesday, Nov. 28 in the auditorium at Plymouth High School, 125 Highland Ave., as part of the Fall Free Films series of recent films that won or were nominated for Academy Awards. Admission is free. "Lion,” nominated for six Academy Awards including Best Picture, tells the story of 5-year-old Saroo, who gets lost on a train which takes him thousands of miles across India, away from home and family. Saroo must learn to survive alone in Kolkata, before ultimately being adopted by an Australian couple. Twenty-five years later, armed with only a handful of memories, his unwavering determination, and a revolutionary technology known as Google Earth, he sets out to find his lost family and finally return to his first home.
- Cooking Club – Take & Bake: Save time, bring your friends, and join us in the kitchen to prepare meals you can take home and bake later. Get answers to your nutrition questions, as well as healthy menu ideas and recipe substitutions to use at home. Class will meet with registered dietitian Jessica Mella from 5:30 to 8 p.m. Wednesday, Nov. 29; fee is $78 until Nov. 17 (then $88), which includes all groceries and supplies for five meals serving 4-6 each, as well as a complimentary bowl of homemade soup to enjoy while you prep the meals. Bring take-home containers, and dress for fun in the kitchen! (Please note: This class originally was scheduled for Oct. 4.)
- Herbal Gift Making: Participants will make approximately 10 herbal gift items to give this holiday season. Gifts include lip balm, felted soap, herbal condiments, herbal salts, lotion bar, dream pillow, herbal tea blend, herbal massage oil, and much more. Learn about various herbs, too. Class will meet with Linda Conroy, owner of Moonwise Herbs, from 6 to 8:30 p.m. Thursday, Nov. 30; fee is $48 until Nov. 17 (then $58), which includes all supplies and decorative packaging.
There is still room in the following fitness classes, which meet at Riverview Middle School, 300 Riverside Circle, unless otherwise noted:
- Core Training: This is a great beginner class but also can benefit the most experienced participant. Good for those looking specifically at core strength or a low-impact course to get started. Uses stability, Bosu and medicine balls plus exercise bands, mats and weights. Class meets with Josette Svitter from 4:15 to 5 p.m. Mondays and Wednesdays through Dec. 20; fee for any 15 classes is $49 ($39 for Generations members and district residents ages 62 and up).
- Yoga: Learn basic poses in this beginner class. This is a great opportunity to give this healthful activity a try. Become more relaxed, more flexible and start to breathe more fully. Class meets with Stuart Gavin from 6 to 6:45 a.m. Mondays and Wednesdays through Dec. 20; fee for any 15 classes is $75 (seniors $60).
- Top Flight: Class begins with a warm-up and continues into aerobics, designed to strengthen the cardiovascular system. The mat work section of the class will shape and define arm, abdominal, thigh and hip muscles. Class concludes with stretching for flexibility. Your own mat is the only requirement. Class meets with Pat Moriarty from 8 to 9 a.m. Mondays and Wednesdays through Dec. 20 in the Plymouth Youth Center; fee for any 12 classes is $41 (seniors $32).
- Group Cycling MWF: The combination of predominantly cycle riding with fitness training will increase energy levels for the rest of the day. Each class will start with 30 minutes of cycling followed by 15 minutes of strengthening. Class meets with John Pfankuch and Amy Odekirk from 5:15 to 6 a.m. Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays through Dec. 22 (except. Nov. 24); fee for any 22 classes is $66 (seniors $52).
- Interval Training: Utilize different intervals to achieve cardiovascular, strength and flexibility improvements. You will be guided through different exercises each class to find and achieve your own fitness goals. Classes will be held outside when weather permits. Class meets with Josette Svitter from 5:15 to 6 p.m. Mondays and Wednesdays through Dec. 20; fee for any 15 classes is $49 (seniors $39).
There is still room in the following aquatic classes, which meet with instructor Beth Kerntke in the pool at Plymouth High School, 125 Highland Ave.:
- Aqua Fitness: This low- to medium-paced, shallow-depth workout focuses on flexibility, range of motion, muscle toning and stress relief. It is perfect for those who are older, overweight, pregnant, or beginning to exercise, and those with arthritis, fibromyalgia or other health concerns. Class meets from 7:15 to 8 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays through Dec. 19 (except Nov. 23; Dec. 7, 14); fee for 10 classes is $39 ($31 for Generations members and district residents ages 62 and up).
- 20/20: This class features 20 minutes of high-powered and motivational shallow aerobics followed by 20 minutes of ab work. Your feet will be off the floor for long periods of time and you’ll use equipment. Class meets from 8:15 to 9 p.m. Mondays and Wednesdays through Dec. 11 (except Nov. 20, 22); fee for 10 classes is $39 (seniors $31).
- Water Walking: This self-paced, self-directed class in shallow water is perfect for those with limited mobility. Just walk at your own pace! Held at the same time as In the Deep, so help is nearby. Class meets from 7:15 to 8 p.m. Mondays and Wednesdays through Dec. 11 (except Nov. 20, 22); fee for 10 classes is $18 (seniors $14).
- Lap Swim: Take in the benefits of regular exercise with low-impact lap swim. Lap swim is available from 7:30 to 8:30 a.m. Saturdays through Dec. 16 (except Nov. 25; Dec. 2); from 8:15 to 9:15 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays through Dec. 19 (except Nov. 23; Dec. 7, 14); and from 6 to 7 a.m. Wednesdays and Fridays through Dec. 22 (except Nov. 22 and 24). Fees are $32 (seniors $25) for Saturdays only, $43 ($34) for Tuesdays & Thursdays or Fridays & Wednesdays, or $60 ($48) for unlimited swims.
View online descriptions of all of our current general, fitness, aquatic and youth & family courses.
View or print a copy of our current course guide. Copies also may be found at locations throughout the community.
How do I register?
Register online: By registering online you can pay with a credit card and get immediate confirmation of enrollment. No more service charge!
Print a registration form: Mail or bring it to our office in Plymouth High School, 125 Highland Ave., Plymouth WI 53073.
• Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Call us at (920) 892-5068.
• Stop by our office on the north end of Plymouth High School, 125 Highland Ave.
• Sign up for our e-newsletter,
which is sent each month and when registration opens for each session.
• Follow us on Facebook.
LTC classes at PHS
Lakeshore Technical College offers a number of classes in the LTC-Plymouth Science and Technology Center at Plymouth High School.
Upcoming classes, which meet from 6 to 9 p.m. unless otherwise noted, include:
- The for-credit class Farm Operator - Business Management covers basic business management practices, including development of a business plan; mission and goal statements; short- and long-range goals; identification and implementation of alternatives for reaching goals; and development of strategies to monitor progress. Other topics include human resource management and safety. Class 60635 will meet from 7 to 9:15 p.m. Thursdays from Nov. 30 to March 22; fee is $143.97.
- Introduction to Twitter: Gain proficiency utilizing the social media sensation Twitter. Students will receive pointers on how to get started, and learn what hashtags are, how to tweet and retweet, what it means to “follow” someone and how to use twitter to communicate directly with others. Class 65660 will meet Tuesday, Dec. 5; fee is $17.72 (seniors $4.50).
• To register, call LTC at (888) 468-6582.
• View or download a complete guide to LTC personal enrichment classes this fall.