Posted October 2023
Beef bourguignon is a delicious French burgundy wine beef stew with onions, carrots, and mushrooms. It’s a delicious meal on a cool fall day. Reheats are amazing too.
- 3 cups burgundy wine
- 2 sweet onions, thinly sliced
- 2 medium/large carrots, chunked or use 2 c baby carrots
- 2 tablespoons brandy
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 10 whole black peppercorns (remove after cooking)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 sprig fresh parsley
- 1 bay leaf (remove after cooking)
- 2 pounds cubed beef chuck roast, chuck steak, or sirloin beef tips
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- ½ pound bacon, cooked and chopped
- 2 sweet onions, chopped
- 2-3 tablespoons corn starch
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 (10.5 ounce) can beef broth (I like to use a can of Progresso French Onion Soup)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 pound of your favorite fresh mushrooms, sliced
- For the marinade…mix wine, sliced onions, carrots, brandy, garlic, peppercorns, salt, parsley, and bay leaf in a large glass or ceramic bowl. Add beef and toss to evenly coat; cover the bowl with plastic wrap and marinate in the refrigerator for 2 days.
- For the bourguignon…preheat slow cooker/large crock pot to low/medium heat. Strain beef from the marinade and shake off excess; pat dry with paper towels (make sure it is dried off). Strain vegetables and set aside…and keep the marinade. Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add beef in batches; cook until browned on all sides. Transfer browned beef into a separate medium bowl; set aside.
- Add bacon to the same skillet; cook and stir until lightly browned. Chop and transfer bacon to the bowl with browned beef. Drain the skillet and return it to the heat. Pour 1 cup of reserved marinade into the skillet; bring to a boil while scraping the browned yummy bits off the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon. Return this liquid with browned bits to the rest of the marinade.
- Heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil in the same skillet. Add chopped onions; cook and stir until just tender, about 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in reserved onions and carrots from the marinade; mix well, then use a slotted spoon to transfer vegetables into the bowl with beef.
- Return the skillet to the heat; mix corn starch with a small amount of cold water in a small container. Add the corn starch mixture to the pan drippings and cook until well mixed, about 1 minute. Stir in garlic and tomato paste until combined. Add beef broth, remaining reserved marinade, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil, whisking to remove any lumps; pour into slow cooker/large crock pot and add beef/vegetable mixture.
- Cook on low/medium until beef is tender, about 3-4 hours; stir occasionally.
- About 10 minutes before serving, melt butter in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and sauté until lightly browned, about 5 to 7 minutes; stir mushrooms into beef mixture until well combined.
Variations can include adding baby red or Yukon gold potatoes or add your favorite vegetables You can also serve it over mashed potatoes, rice, or noodles.