Plymouth School District History
A look at key events in district history
1847: First school opens in the City of Plymouth, on the east side of North Milwaukee Street about 100 feet south of Forest Avenue.
1849: New one-room schoolhouse opens on southwest corner of Main and Smith, which also serves as the community center until 1867.
1867: New wooden, 4-room Union School opens at Main and Smith, west of the Lutheran Church.
1876: Three-year high school course of study begins.
1879: First high school class graduates.
1883: Two-story, 4-room addition is added to the schoolhouse.
The lower rooms were for the high school and the upper rooms for the grammar school.
1890: Fourth year added to the high school course of study.
1893: Schoolhouse at Main and Smith is replaced with a cream-colored brick building on the same site.
The 1883 addition is sold to the neighboring Lutheran Church to serve as its school until a new school is built in 1955, and the 1867 schoolhouse is moved to 114 Elizabeth Street.
1904: Separate high school building built adjacent to 1893 school to accommodate growth.
1933: New $265,000 junior/senior high school (now Riverview) opens to serve students in grades 7-12.
The 1893 & 1904 buildings are used for grades K-6.
1957: Fairview and Parkview open, serving K-8.
1966: Current Plymouth Comprehensive High School opens, serving grades 9-12.
Former high school becomes Riverview Intermediate School, serving grades 6-8.
1991: Horizon Elementary School opens, serving K-5.
2004: Voters approve an $18.3 million referendum to build a new gymnasium and cafeteria at Riverview, plus do maintenance work and renovations at other schools.