Posted September 9, 2019
Recognizing the serious benefits of play, the Plymouth School District and its community partners facilitate several playgroups for young children and their caregivers.
These playgroups offer fun opportunities for children to participate in age-appropriate activities that stimulate learning, develop motor skills, and encourage social interaction.
Friday Playgroup offers a brief organized activity for kids of all ages and time for caregiver-supervised play. Friday Playgroup meets from 9:30 to 11 a.m. Fridays through Dec. 13 (except Nov. 29) initially at City Park, then at the Youth Center once the weather changes. Register with Community Education & Recreation at www.plymouth.k12.wi.us/COM.html or 892-5068; fee is $14/family to cover activity supplies.
In addition, the following free playgroups for kids ages 2½ through 4 (accompanied by an adult) will meet from 9:30 to 10:30 a.m. Wednesdays at Generations, 1500 Douglas Drive:
- First Wednesdays – Little Learners: A joint venture of the Plymouth School District and the Family Resource Center, Little Learners offers age-appropriate games, music, movement, and stories, under the guidance of early childhood teacher Ginger Boldt. Begins Oct. 2 and continues through June 3 (except Jan. 1).
- Second Wednesdays – Little Movers: A joint venture of the Family Resource Center and Rehab Resources, Little Movers offers fun activities that promote strength, endurance, body spatial awareness, balance and coordination, facilitated by a physical therapist. Parents and other caretakers will learn about the benefits of play through movement and be introduced to new activities they can try with their kids at home. Begins Sept. 11 and continues through May 13.
- Third Wednesdays – Little Builders: The Family Resource Center will open a room for families to play with its large foam blocks and other blocks on their own. Begins Sept. 18 and continues through May 20.
- Fourth Wednesdays – Little Naturalists: Coordinated by Community Ed & Rec, Little Naturalists lets little ones explore, discover and connect to nature, facilitated by Laura Grunwald, Plymouth School District garden coordinator. The playgroup will begin with organized activities and end with unstructured play to let nature be the guide. Held rain or shine, so please dress appropriately; cancelled only in extreme weather events. Meets Sept. 25, Oct. 23, Jan. 22, Feb. 26 and May 27.
• Register online for Friday Playgroup
• View or download a flier about the playgroups.
• To learn more about Friday Playgroup or Little Naturalists, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (920) 892-5068.
• To learn more about Little Movers or Little Builders, contact the Family Resource Center at https://www.familyresourcesheboygan.org or (920) 892-6706.
• To learn more about Little Learners, contact Mrs. Boldt at email@example.com or (920) 892-2225 Ext. 3512.