Posted September 10, 2018
Lakeshore Technical College is offering several agriculture and gardening classes at Plymouth High School this fall.
The following classes will meet from 6 to 9 p.m. in the LTC-Plymouth Science and Technology Center at the school, located at 125 Highland Ave., unless otherwise noted:
- Rose Garden Design: Participants will design a rose garden, as they learn about picking the best site, planting, pruning, rose types and varieties, annual care and dealing with disease. Class 65374 will meet Tuesday, Sept. 25; fee is $17.92 ($4.50 for those age 62 and up).
- Basic First Aid for Pets: This course focuses on how to treat household pets with minor injuries. It also covers caring for animals with serious conditions until they can be seen by a veterinarian. Class 65415 will meet from 6 to 8 p.m. Wednesday, Sept. 26; fee is $11.21.
- Bulb Garden Design & Installation: Participants learn how to plan, design, plant and care for bulbs now for a welcome sign in spring. Topics will include incorporating bulbs into an existing garden, starting new and creating a unique area, and interesting bulbs to add texture and variety. Class 65370 will meet Wednesday, Oct. 3; fee is $17.92 ($4.50 for those age 62 and up).
- Landscaping Design: Create a landscape design for your business or home. Participants will develop a plan using flowers, shrubs, trees, structures, and creativity to add texture and design to a landscape. This class includes an individual review of plans with the instructor. Class 65373 will meet from 6 to 8 p.m. Thursdays Oct. 11 and 18; fee is $24.63 ($4.50 for those age 62 and up).
- Putting Your Perennials to Bed: Learn how and when to put your perennials to bed for winter. Participants also will learn how to get the most out of perennials for winter and make spring clean-up easier, and which perennials can be planted in fall. Class 65375 will meet Thursday, Oct. 25; $17.92 ($4.50 for those age 62 and up).
- Starting from Seed to Kickstart Your Garden: Learn about plants to start as seeds indoors to kickstart the spring/summer growing season. This class will cover starting vegetables, herbs and flowers and will include instruction on equipment needed, germination, caring for seedlings, watering and how and when to plant outdoors. Class 65553 will meet Tuesday, Oct. 30; fee is $17.92 ($4.50 for those age 62 and up).
- Planning for Spring: Stay warm as the cooler months approach by keeping your spring garden in mind. A few crucial steps now to complete now that will make spring gardening easier. Participants will create a plan that includes current plants and incorporates new plants. Class 65377 will meet Monday, Nov. 19; fee is $17.92 ($4.50 for those age 62 and up).
- Square-Foot Gardening: No time to garden? No space? Try raised bed gardening. One or two simple 4-foot square beds can provide food and cut flowers all season. Participants will learn how to grow vegetables and plants in a little space, saving money on seeds. Class 65376 will meet Monday, Dec. 3; fee is $17.92 ($4.50 for those age 62 and up).
• To register, call (888) 468-6582.
• View or download a complete guide to LTC Personal Enrichment Classes offered this fall.