Posted September 10, 2018
Plymouth School District Community Education & Recreation is offering a new class about microgreens, plus Woodworking for adults and Mural Masterpieces for kids.
Register by Sept. 21 and save $10 on the following classes, which will be held at Plymouth High School, 125 Highland Ave., unless otherwise noted:
- Grow Your Own Microgreens: This new class will explore what microgreens are and how they differ from sprouts, the nutritional value of microgreens, and how to plant your own. Choose from sunflower, mustard, arugula, radish, or kale seeds. Class will meet with instructor Debra Denzer of Terra Sol Gardens from 6 to 7:30 p.m. Thursday, Oct. 4; fee is $26 until Sept. 21 (then $36), which includes all materials.
- Adult Woodworking: New participants will work closely with instructor Ralph Gunkel to learn the concepts and tools of the trade, while completing personal projects big or small. Returning or experienced participants may use the facilities independently and receive assistance when necessary. Class will meet from 5:30 to 8:30 p.m. Wednesdays from Oct. 3 to Nov. 14; Fee is $67 ($53 for district residents ages 62 and above, and for Generations members) until Sept. 21, then $77 (plus the cost of materials for projects).
- Mural Masterpieces: Students in grades two through six will work together to create a large theme-based mural for the school, plus a smaller one to take home. Class will meet with art teacher Field Lehmann from 4 to 5 p.m. Thursdays from Oct. 4 to Nov. 15 at Horizon Elementary School, 411 S. Highland Ave.; fee is $25 until Sept. 21, then $35.
There’s still room in the following:
- Friday Playgroup: Kids of all ages can get the wiggles out at this parent-supervised group that will meet at City Park while the weather is wonderful and move indoors when it turns chilly. A brief activity will be provided, along with time for free play. Space is limited indoors, so be sure to register. Playgroup will meet from 9:30 to 11 a.m. the first, second and third Fridays of the month through Oct. 19 at City Park, and from Nov. 2 to Dec. 21 at the Plymouth Youth Center; fee is $10/family.
- Hiking Club: Enjoy a weekly group hike in the Kettle Moraine Forest and along other trails in our area. The same hike will be offered each week at various times, beginning the week of Sept. 10. There is no fee, but you must register to receive the monthly hike schedule and you will need a state park sticker.
- Tumbling/Gymnastics: Students ages 3 and up will learn floor work, tumble track, balance beam and parallel bars. Classes will meet with YMCA instructors on Friday evenings (times vary by level) from Sept. 14 to Oct. 5 at Riverview Middle School, 300 Riverside Circle; fee is $40.
- The Bubbling Crock - Fermented Vegetables: Fermentation is a good preservation technique and an opportunity to put up delicious healthy vegetables. Participants will learn several techniques for fermenting vegetables, fruits and beverages, and take home two jars of seasoned pickled veggies. Class will meet with instructor Linda Conroy, owner of Moonwise Herbs, from 6 to 8:30 p.m. Monday, Sept. 24; fee is $45 until Sept. 14, then $45, which includes all supplies.
- Cooking with Herbs 101: This new hands-on class focuses on herbs you can grow in your garden and how to fuse herbs into delicious creations. Learn which herbs flourish in our area and how to care for, store and dry herbs for year-round use. Explore herbs by making rosemary bread sticks, mint glorified salad, compound butters, a snappy herb dip, and pesto from a variety of ingredients. Class will meet with instructor Kate Pearce, wellness coach/heirloom gardener, from 6 to 8 p.m. Thursday, Sept. 27; fee is $35 until Sept. 14, then $45, which includes all supplies.
- Child Swim Lessons: Children will learn to swim following the American Red Cross six comprehensive course levels. Children must be 50 inches tall for Level 1; participants in all other levels must have passed the previous level. Classes meet Saturday mornings (times vary by level) from Sept. 29 to Dec. 8 (except Oct. 27; Nov. 24; Dec. 1); fee is $41 until Sept. 14, then $51.
• Register online; this option allows you to pay with a credit card at no extra charge and to receive immediate confirmation of enrollment.
• Print a registration form to mail or bring to Community Ed & Rec, 125 Highland Ave., Plymouth WI 53073.
• View or download the complete Fall 2018 Course Listings.
• Visit our Facebook page, where we share information regularly about our many learning and wellness offerings for community members of all ages.
• Email email@example.com, call (920) 892-5068, or visit the Community Ed & Rec office on the north end of Plymouth High School, 125 Highland Ave.