Posted September 10, 2018
Plymouth High School is offering six new courses for the 2018-19 school year, most of which offer advanced opportunities for students to enhance their scholarship.
PHS has introduced 23 new courses in the past four years, as it prepares students to apply knowledge and skills consistent with the ever-evolving 21st century. Sixteen of the 23 have been designated cum laude, in recognition of their rigorous curriculum.
New for 2018-19 are:
- Accelerated Area Studies: This semester-long cum laude course for freshmen is designed to present a greater understanding of the relationship of global processes and interactions among different countries, past and present. Students will determine changes in international frameworks and their causes and consequences, as well as assess the influence of geography on the development of societies.
- Accelerated Citizenship: This semester-long cum laude course for freshmen offers an intensive study of the formal and informal structures of government and the processes of the American political system, with emphasis on policy-making and implementation. Students will learn to analyze and interpret basic data relevant to the U.S. government and institutions.
- Advanced Art: This semester-long cum laude course for juniors and seniors will focus on portfolio development as students continue to explore and master the skills required to produce high-quality works of art. Emphasis will be placed on creating more complex visual statements as students have the opportunity to focus on a chosen subject or medium.
- Exploring Instrumental Music: This semester-long course for all PHS students is for those with little musical experience. Students will be instructed on reading music notation and will gain experience playing piano keyboard, guitar, and drums.
- Music Theory: This semester-long cum laude course is a capstone for seniors looking to study the construction and organization of music. Studies will include music theory fundamentals, harmonic progressions, and aural training and dictation.
- Statistics: This year-long cum laude course for juniors and seniors will introduce the major concepts and tools for collecting, analyzing, and drawing conclusions from data. This course draws connections between all aspects of the statistical process, including design, analysis, and conclusions. Additionally, this course will help students to develop skills in how to communicate statistical methods, results and interpretations.
In addition, PHS is offering the Project Lead the Way engineering course Digital Electronics for the first time in four years. This year-long course for upperclassmen introduces students to applied digital logic, a key element of careers in engineering and engineering technology. Students will explore the smart circuits found in watches, calculators, video games, and computers, as they use industry-standard computer software to test and analyze digital circuitry.
• Explore the online Plymouth High School Academic & Career Planning Guide.
• Explore the Academic Excellence section of our award-winning District Report Card to learn more about how our students create knowledge and develop skills to become leaders and innovators in the ever-evolving global community.