Riverview fifth-graders share samples of a mock “genetic sample.” Groups shared samples with each other, and at the end of a trade a drop of solution was added to determine if they had been “infected.”
Posted January 29, 2018
Riverview Middle School fifth-graders recently conducted labs and then imagined the future as part of a Wisconsin Future Problem Solving contest.
The students, in the Pegasus program taught by Jessica Barrington, had to write a story set at least 20 years in the future regarding one of five proposed topics: bio security, infectious disease, toxic materials, cloud storage, and disorders. They also had to create a plausible solution to their chosen topic.
To prepare for the assignment, students participated in mini-lessons on each topic as well as two labs regarding infectious disease and bio security.
The first lab was predicting the most germ-infested items in school, swabbing them, and growing bacteria cultures. The second lab explored how an epidemic spreads and how to determine the original carrier of the disease.
Providing more of this type of STEAM – Science, Technology, Engineering, Art, and Math – activity is one of the initiatives called for by the district Academic Excellence for the 21st Century Pillar strategic plan.
The Board of Education has established four Pillars of Excellence – Academic Excellence, Extracurriculars, Community Engagement, and Financial Responsibility – as key principles that distinguish the district and advance its mission. Each Pillar has a strategic plan that identifies desired Future States and initiatives for the next three years.
The overarching goal of the Academic Excellence Pillar is for students to learn to apply knowledge and skills consistent with the ever-evolving 21st century. The desired Future States are:
To move closer to those Future States, the 2017-18 Academic Excellence strategies include:
• Read an article about our promotional videos and other initiatives of the Financial Responsibility Pillar.
• Read an article about our new calendar and scheduling system and other initiatives of the Community Engagement Pillar.
• Read an article about the new Riverview Intramural program and other initiatives of the Extracurriculars Pillar.
• Visit the Pillars of Excellence page to learn more about all four Pillars of Excellence.
• Visit the Extracurriculars section of our District Report Card to learn more about our unparalleled array of extracurricular options.