The Plymouth School District offers a number of options to keep students learning, exploring and moving during the summer months.
Summer School will run for five weeks from June 19 to July 21, with no classes July 3 or 4. Most classes will meet at Plymouth High School from 8 to 11:45 a.m., with early childhood classes at neighboring Horizon Elementary School.
Enrollment is open to all students, regardless of which district they attend during the school year. The district will offer about 75 classes for students through high school, at no charge to families. While remedial courses are available, the vast majority are designed to keep students thinking during the summer.
• View or download a flier about Summer School.
• Visit the Plymouth Summer School webpage.
• The course guide and registration materials will be available online at www.plymouth.k12.wi.us beginning April 4.
Squiggles & Wiggles Preschool
In addition, Community Education and Recreation again will offer Squiggles & Wiggles Preschool during Summer School, for potty-trained children ages 3 and 4 (must be 3 by June 1).
New this year, youngsters can attend either or both of two, two-week sessions. The first session will be June 19 to June 29, with a fee of $90 until June 9; the second session will be July 10 to 20, with a fee of $90 until June 30. Or sign up for both sessions by June 9 at a discounted rate of $160. Fees, which include all supplies and snacks, increase $10 after the deadlines.
Squiggles & Wiggles will run from 8:30 to 11 a.m. Mondays through Thursdays. If needed, additional child care is available before and after preschool through Mulberry Bush (see Summer Child Care below).
• View or download the Squiggles & Wiggles Preschool registration form.
Summer Child Care
Community Education and Recreation again will offer all-day child care for children from age 6 weeks old through students who will be entering fifth grade in the fall.
Three age-appropriate programs are available:
- Mulberry Bush: For children 6 weeks to 4 years old. Located at Horizon Elementary School.
- Berry Branch: For children who will be entering kindergarten or first grade in the fall. Located at Horizon.
- Extra Mile: For children who will be entering second through fifth grades in the fall. Located at Horizon during Summer School and at Parkview the rest of the time.
Care is available from 6:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. weekdays at Mulberry Bush. The other programs are open from 6 a.m. to 6 p.m., except no care is available when Summer School is in session so that children may attend that program.
• View or download the Summer 2017 and School Year 2017-18 Registration Form.
Youth athletic camps
Community Education & Recreation is coordinating a number of summer athletic camps for students, among them:
- Youth Football Camp: This camp for boys and girls entering grades 5 through 9 will be from 12:30 to 2:30 p.m. July 10 to 12 at Plymouth High School.
- Boys Basketball Camp: There will be two sessions for boys entering grades 2 through 9. Session 1 will be June 19 to 23; Session 2 will be June 26 to 30. Both will meet in the PHS gym, with grades 6-9 from noon to 1:30 p.m. and grades 2-5 from 1:30 to 3 p.m.
- Girls Basketball Camp: This camp for girls entering grades 4 through 9 will be from June 12 to 16 in the PHS gym, with those entering fourth and fifth grades from 8 to 9:30 a.m., grades six and seven from 9:45 to 11:15 a.m., and grades eight and nine from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Volleyball Camp: for girls entering grades 9 through 12. Camp will be in July; watch for details.
- Swim Club: AM Club for those entering grade 9 & up will meet from
6 to 7:30 p.m. Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays from June 12 to Aug. 1. PM Club for age 7 through entering grade 8 will meet from
3 to 4:30 p.m. Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays from June 19 to July 20 (except July 3-7).
- Competitive Swim: Coming in August. Watch for details.
Community Ed & Rec summer offerings
Community Education & Recreation also is planning numerous classes and other activities for youth and families during its summer session (May-August), including:
- Summer Playgroup: All ages are invited to enjoy our parks and commune with nature, other parents and children, as we rotate through kid-friendly Plymouth parks.
- Tennis: Students in grades one through nine of all ability levels will get drills and coaching from veteran PHS tennis players and the rec coordinator.
- Kids Cook Easy Summer Meals: Students ages 9 to 13 will learn some no-cook recipes as well as recipes that require simple cooking. Learn basic kitchen skills, safety precautions, and simple stovetop and oven cooking.
- Ropes Course: Ages 6 through adult are invited to try the Zip Line, Pamper Pole (Leap of Faith), climbing walls, cable and log traverse, and the 4x4 crossing.
- SCUBA: Those ages 10 and up can try SCUBA in the safety of the PHS pool.
- Kayaking: Those ages 6 and up can experience a great recreational activity on the local Mullet River or on local lakes.
- Parent/Tot Aquatics: Assists in establishing a comfort level in the water for those ages 6 months to 5 years. Caregivers will be in the water with the children, so this class provides a unique opportunity to bond.
- Seasonal Community Potlucks: Bring your family and a favorite healthy dish to pass. We challenge you to make seasonally inspired dishes that are whole grain, low in sugar, and include fruits and vegetables.
• Registration opens Monday, April 17. Watch for the Summer Course Listings in the Online Friday Folders at www.plymouth.k12.wi.us beginning Friday, April 14 and in the Plymouth Review Xtra on Tuesday, April 18.