Plymouth High School took third as a team and brought home seven individual medals from the recent East Central Conference Academic Bowl.
The annual competition, held March 7 at Kettle Moraine Lutheran High School this year, features four academic subjects: math, science, social studies and language arts. Each academic team is comprised of a student from each grade plus a fifth, at-large member. Individual medals are awarded based on written exams, then each team competes in a game show-style verbal contest.
Individuals earning awards were:
- Christian Pieper - first place in Biology
- Abi Phelps - first place in British Literature/Shakespeare
- Jake Van Norwick - first place in World History
- Abi Smrz - third place in Advanced math
- Amanda Kreuger - third place in Algebra 2
- Drew Schmitz - third place in Chemistry
- Sydney Tackes - third place in Geometry
Members of the PHS teams and their specialties were:
- Math Team: freshman Jacob Ashworth, Algebra 1; sophomore Sydney Tackes, Geometry; junior Cade Knaus, Algebra 2; senior Abi Smrz, Advanced Math; AL Amanda Kreuger, Algebra 2
- Social Studies Team: freshman Grace Mooney, Geography; sophomore Mike Troka, U.S. History; junior Adam Smith, U.S. Government; senior Jake Van Norwick, World History; AL Erik Ohman, U.S. History
- Science Team: freshman Avi Charlton Diesch, General Science; sophomore Christian Pieper, Biology; junior Drew Schmitz, Chemistry; senior Gwen Nytes, Physics; AL Kyle Kraus, General Science
- Language Arts Team: freshman Chase Jasinski, Short Stories/Poetry; sophomore Charlotte Suttner, Grammar/Spelling; junior Erica Birenbaum, American Lit; senior Abi Phelps, British Lit/Shakespeare; AL Lucas Rohrbeck, Grammar/Spelling
- Current Events Team: Amanda Kreuger, Algebra 2; Erik Ohman, U.S. History; Kyle Kraus, General Science; Lucas Rohrbeck, Grammar/Spelling
- Alternates: freshman Kaitlynn Fisher, Geometry; freshman Dylan Ernest, Geometry; senior Joe Chandler, Chemistry; freshman Dallas Kriesa, Algebra 1
PHS first competed in the Academic Bowl last year after joining the East Central Conference, placing fourth as a team.
• Read an article about the Academic Bowl from Hi-Lights student newspaper.
• Check out the Extracurriculars section of our District Report Card to learn more about our history of success in academic competitions.