Plymouth School District Community Education and Recreation is offering Woodworking, Crochet, SCUBA and Kayaking this winter.
Register by Jan. 13 and save $10 on the following, which meet at Plymouth High School, 125 Highland Ave.:
- Adult Woodworking: This class is for those interested in working on wood-related projects of all types. New participants will work closely with instructor Ralph Gunkel to learn the concepts and tools of the trade, while completing personal projects big or small. Returning or experienced participants may use the facilities independently and receive assistance when necessary. Class will meet from 5:30 to 8:30 p.m. Wednesdays from Jan. 25 to March 8; fee is $67 ($53 for Generations members and district residents ages 62 and up) until Jan. 13, then $77, plus the cost of materials for projects.
- Intro to Crochet I: Learn basic techniques and the most common stitches, and gain experience reading a pattern. Take home a lovely scarf created by you. Class will meet with instructor Sharon Schlundt from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. Thursdays from Jan. 26 to Feb. 23 (except Feb. 9); fee is $35 (seniors $28) until Jan. 13, then $45, plus supplies.
- SCUBA: Those ages 10 and up can try SCUBA in the safety of the PHS pool. All equipment, supervision and pool time included. Class will meet with recreation coordinator Clayton Moore and Port Deco Divers from 3 to 5 p.m. Saturday, Jan. 28; fee is $36 (seniors $28) until Jan. 13, then $46.
- Kayaking: Those ages 6 and up can experience this great recreational activity in the PHS pool. Kayaks (weight limit 250 pounds), paddles and life preservers provided. Class will meet with instructor Andrew Arentsen from 5 to 7 p.m. Saturday, Jan. 28; fee is $20 (seniors $16) until Jan. 13, then $30.
There’s also still room in the following:
- PiYo: This Fitness Level 1 class is a combination of Yoga and Pilates. PiYo is a total-body fitness system designed to work your entire body. It combines the practices of Pilates and Yoga to help build strength, lose weight, increase flexibility. Class meets with instructor Amy Odekirk from 5:15 to 6a.m.Tuesdays and Thursdays from Jan. 10 to April 27 (except March 28 and 30) at Riverview. Fee is $96 (seniors $78) or attend any 15 classes for $49 (seniors $39).
- Family Fit Gym: Families are invited to get moving together in this fitness class designed to make working out fun and promote physical activity. One adult and one child ages 5 to 10 team up and get fit through circuit training, physical education games and relay races. Class will meet with instructor Katie Shuenemann from 6:30 to 7:15 p.m. Tuesdays from Jan. 10 to March 21 in the Plymouth High School wrestling room; fee is $42.
- Monthly Meditation: These free, drop-in meditation sessions will begin with guided breathing or meditation techniques and end with a quiet meditation. No experience is necessary. Participants will meet with instructor Carrie Caselton Lowe, a certified Yoga teacher, from 6:30 to 7:15 p.m. at Plymouth High School on Wednesday, Jan. 11; Thursday, Feb. 9; Monday, March 6; and Tuesday, April 4.
- Intro to Knitting I: In just four sessions, you will learn the fundamentals of knitting: how to start, stop, and the two basic stitches, while knitting washcloths to take home. Class will meet with instructor Sharon Schlundt from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. Tuesdays from Jan. 17 to Feb. 7; fee is $45, plus supplies.
- Cross Country Ski: Learn the basics of classic-style cross-country skiing from experienced skier and educator Clark Reinke. Learn about the sport, how to choose equipment, and techniques for efficient skiing at the first session, from 7 to 9 p.m. Tuesday, Jan. 17 in a classroom setting. Then enjoy four days of practice on Sundays from Jan. 22 to Feb. 12 (weather dependent) on groomed trails at PHS and Evergreen Golf Course. The group will take a final trip to the Kettle Moraine Trail system. Participants can use PHS ski equipment on all outings. Fee is $30.
- Child Swim Lessons: Our experienced staff has 10 to 40+ years of experience teaching children to swim. We use the American Red Cross six comprehensive course levels. Children must be 50 inches tall and will be measured on or preferably before the first day of Level 1. Participants in all other levels must have passed the previous level. Classes meet Saturday mornings (times depend on the level) from Jan. 21 to March 25 (except Feb. 4 and 11); fee is $51.
• Register online; this option, which no longer carries a service charge, allows you to pay with a credit card and to receive immediate confirmation of enrollment.
• Print a registration form to mail or bring to Community Ed & Rec, 125 Highland Ave., Plymouth WI 53073.
• View or download the complete Winter/Spring 2017 course guide.
• Visit our new Facebook page, where we will be sharing information regularly about our many learning and recreational offerings for community members of all ages.
• Call (920) 892-5068, email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit the Community Education and Recreation office on the north end of Plymouth High School, 125 Highland Ave.